Monday, August 21, 2006

First Day

Ok we went to the school this evening to meet the boys' teachers. Jimmy took off just a tad early so we could all go. We loaded all four kids, plus Jay's friend who'd spent last night with us and was spending tonight with us. We get to the mad house and slowely make our way to where Jay's class will be. Jay's teacher is new to that school. He seems nice. When I told him about Jay's ADHD and not being on meds, he said he was ADHD as well, but on meds. So he'll keep an eye on Jay. This will be Jay's first male teacher. (He's starting 5th.)

We then made our way to the other side of the school to meet Justin's kindergarten teacher. I took one step inside and had to catch my breath or burst in to tears. Yes, I'm that emotional. LOL I'm not ready for my baby to start kindergarten. I can only imagine how it'll be when my girl starts kindergarten. It'll be even worse when my baby baby starts!

So anyway, his teacher is super nice. We warned her that Justin is very stubborn and to be firm with him right off. She seemed shocked that we would say something like that about our own child. But it's true. LOL She thanked us for the warning and assured us that he would be fine.

They start school on Wednesday. And I'm about as nervous as I can be. I should be a pro, shouldn't I? I've already shipped one child off to school 5 years ago. But those that know me, and know me well, know I can cry at a damn kleenex commercial. LOL (I'm an excellent sympathetic cryer. LOL)

So about ten minutes ago, I finally open the packets the teachers gave us with all the papers I have to fill out. In Justin's packet was this poem that, yes, I admit, brought tears to my eyes.

Here's the poem:

The First Day
I gave you a little wink and smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide.
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow,
I'll love him as I would my own
And help him learn and grow.
For as a teacher, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
And that one day soon it will be my turn
To take my child to class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at my door.

No comments: