Friday, August 11, 2006

Last Field Trip for the Summer

Today was the last field trip for the Homework Club for the summer. We went to Splash Zone. I'd never been, so it was a treat for me. LOL My sister came over and babysat Jackson and Korinne. I took Justin with Jay and me this time.

I had so much fun! Though I had such a scare that I actually cried. I bribed Justin to go on the water slide with me. We got a tube that seats two and made our way through the line. Swish, swish, slide, slide we went. When we reached the pool, he screamed, "That was so fun! Let's go again!" I said ok, and we made our way through the line again. Swish, swish, slide, slide we went. We reach the bottom and hit it just right to where the water flipped us over. I automatically turn around to grab Justin. The water at the end of the slide is being pushed out to keep us moving when we hit the end. Well all I see through this bubbling water is Justin's arms flailing in the air. I'm trying to grab him but the water keeps trying to push me away. I know he's underwater and I'm really freaking out. The lifeguard grabs him the same moment I grab him. I pick him up and hold him tight telling him over and over how sorry I am. He coughed and coughed. I cried, of course. Then he looks at me and calmly says, "Ok I am so done with that slide." It was so serious and so cute that I laughed while crying. He spent the rest of the afternoon on the kiddie slide and swimming in the pool. But after that, I couldn't really breath unless I had him in my sights at all times.

He's 5 and he's learning how to swim. But he only stays where he can reach the bottom or near the edge. So when I saw his head go under and his arms in the air, I stopped breathing. If I let myself, I could cry even now.

So a couple of hours ago, I said, "Justin I'm so sorry we flipped over and you went under water. I was so worried you would be mad at me." He put his little arms around me, looks in my eyes and says, "Mommy, I would not be mad at you. I love you." Yeah talk about trying not to cry! LOL Man he can tug my heart strings!

2 comments:

Ami said...

I'm glad it was just a scare and not something really bad. He sounds like a sweetie, too.

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

Oh Ami, he really is. He's one of 2 that resemble me. And as sad as it sounds, he's one of my faves. Though for different reasons, they're all my faves. But he's more like me and I feel I have a tendency to favor him. He's just such a sweet child, though he has my temper. LOL