Saturday, July 15, 2006

I so love my kids' doctor!

Jay woke up this morning crying that his ear hurt. So I called the pediatrician's office and was told to bring him in before 10. I know Dr. McCall comes in on Saturdays once or twice a month. Well my mom was here so she watched the kids. Jimmy went with me because I was going to drop him off at the Doctor's Care near Jay's doctor's office. Well I didn't drop Jimmy off because when we drove through the parking lot we saw that the office was packed. So Jimmy went with me to Jay's doctor. Turns out Jay has swimmer's ear and an infection. So he's on zithromax and ear drops. Anywho, while there, I said, "Let me ask you something. Do you know anything about vision therapy?" Dr. McCall looks at us and says, "What? That it doesn't work and is a waste of time and money? Yeah I know." I explained to him about the optometrist's office wanting Jay to do vision therapy. I didn't mention the optometrist. Dr. McCall sais he's had several patients going through the "Draisin effect of vision therapy." Now Dr. Draisin is the eye doctor I take the kids to. So I said, "Well doesn't Dr. Draisin specialize in perdiatric optometry? Dr McCall said, "Ironic isn't it?" So he gave us a referral to see a different pediatric optometrist to get a second opinion. Apparently a lot of Dr McCall's patients were being over-refracted. Meaning they'd gone to Dr. Draisin and recieved glasses when they didn't really need them. So Monday, I'll be getting a call to find out when I take Jay to this other eye doctor. I'm not kidding when I tell you that Dr. McCall basically went off about this vision therapy. He basically said it was just another way for a doctor to syphon money out of people for something that has NOT been clinically proven by ANY medical universities that it actually works. So I don't think I'll be taking Jay to vision therapy any time soon. And people wonder why I drive 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) to take my kids to the doctor. LOL Um...cause their doctor is honest with us. That and I like the staff and how they know us all. LOL

1 comment:

Ami said...

I have a friend nearby whose son has been doing vision therapy for two years. The results for him have been astounding. Now you may have run into a doctor who's more interested in money than in anything else... I think I have met a few of those! But, vision therapy for this particular child has worked wonders.