Monday, July 31, 2006

Update on 'Cry wolf...'

This morning, I cornered one of the maintenance men here and asked him about the tape. (There's a camera located in the pool area where alleged rape occured. I'd already learned about what was on the tape but wanted clarification.) He at first said they weren't allowed to comment on it. I told him what I'd heard and that I had a right to know whether I was taking my kids to a crime scene if I took them to the pool. I told him that I already had the opinion that the 'crime' was actually consensual. He finally said, "You didn't hear this from me. But yes it was consensual." I said, "That's all I need to know. Thank you." I would never do anything to get him or the other maintenance guy who'd already blabbed in trouble since both of them go above and beyond their duties.

So I called my girlfriend who this happened to and left a message for her to call me. She called me back and said, "There's more to the story than I told you last." I said, "That it was consensual?" She admitted it was but didn't know until later, which I figured. I knew the niece had freaked out and said she'd been raped and that's all my friend had to go on until they saw the survelience tape from the pool area. The girl eventually recanted the story, but the guy is still in jail because he is 20 and the girl is 15. I never once blamed my friend. All she had was what her niece told her. There were already rumors and gossip among the teenagers around here before I learned the truth.

Part of me is glad it wasn't a rape, because now I can take my kids to the pool without feeling like I was stepping in to some crime scene. The other part of me is so pissed that this girl cried wolf. As a rape survivor, I never told anyone at the time what happened. But with this girl, if she really is raped later on in life, no one is going to believe her. And that hurts me, even though I don't know her.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogging is a great place to vent frustrations to the world, but if you promised the maintenance man you wouldn't repeat what he said, why are you repeating it to the entire world here?

Unknown said...

Twenty year olds have no business with fifteen year olds.

The fifteen year old was wrong for crying rape, however she is below the age of consent and he plied her with cigarettes and beer. He is wrong on multiple levels. This whole scenario makes me ill.

If I succeed in nothing else, I want to be sure my boys do not turn into the cretins who chase little girls.

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

Anonymous-Why post anonymous? Got something to hide?
I highly doubt anyone where I live will know who I am since I don't give out where I live or my name. Therefore, I highly doubt anyone who lives here reads my blog or even knows what I'm talking about. That being said, I can say what I want on my blog. I didn't name names, did I? And the maintenance man was referring to the office here anyway.

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

Heather, I totally agree with all you said. He's still in jail and that's where he deserves to be.

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

BTW, anonymous...read my post again. I said "I would not repeat what he said to anyone else that works here."

April said...

I have to agree with anonymous. It doesn't seem appropriate to post something to your blog that you promised to keep in confidence.

I doubt when the maintenance guy agreed to speak with you, he was thinking, "The rest of the world can know. That would be okay. Just as long as she doesn't tell my co-workers."

Ami said...

I'm sure the maintenance man and all his friends the maintenance men worldwide sit breathlessly in front of their computers just waiting to see if Sunnie has anything to say about *them*.
@@
Oh, and your blog is fun to read, but I don't think 'the entire world' is reading it.
Sunnie, if I am ever a maintenance man (which I will never be... I am not a man and I have trouble just maintaining a clean bathroom) I will trust you with just about anything. :D

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

Ami-Thank you! I don't see you becoming a maintenance man though. LOL

LittleJW-LOL He doesn't talk to me much anyway, so he's safe. ;-)

Brigid said...

Dont people have anything better to do than criticize wheither you have broken a moral rule or not?! You know it just makes me want to smack them up side the head!

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

T-apparently they have nothing better to do then locate me. Said person actually responded to this post with my street address. Yes, I deleted it. What kind of moron would post someone else's address on the net? Doesn't matter if there "are a plethora of clues." It's more wrong for that person to have posted my street address than me sharing I spoke to a maintenance guy.