Saturday, September 02, 2006

CA law to ban smoking in cars..

with children, that is.

I came across this blog about smoking with children in your car. Now, I'm a smoker. But I do NOT smoke in my house. Or in my car if my children are with me. I used to smoke in the house and subject my innocent children to second hand smoke. I quit that almost a year ago when Jackson came home from the hospital. Since then, when I feel the need for a cigarette, I step outside. Yes I know I can carry the smoke through my clothes. I try to take precautions with that...wearing a different sweater/shirt/whatever.

The fact is, I smoke. But I DO smoke away from my children. I don't smoke in the house. I don't smoke in the car. And I do NOT smoke when other people's children are in my care.

I don't know how to comment on the blog in question. On one hand I'm outraged that the government is yet again telling us how to live our lives. On the other hand I'm in agreement with parents NOT smoking around their children.

I'm such a hypocrite because I smoked with all of my pregnancies. I tried stopping but just could not. So anything and everything that is going on with my kids, I blame myself for. Even for the major things that have nothing to do with me. I still feel the guilt.

But I do feel banning people from doing something will just make them do it even more. No matter what it is.

What do y'all think>

3 comments:

Ami said...

It's a stupid idea. Sure, it might keep some small ones from inhaling smoke in the car... but what's to stop Dad or Mom from lighting up at home? Do the police and other government watchdogs not have enough to do without adding a law like that?

Smoking around kids isn't a healthy thing to do, for you OR for them. But government interference isn't the answer.

Sonia said...

I think if the gov't can force your kids into carseats, they can force you from smoking in the car with them. Same thing in my opinion.

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

Sonia, I agree that ALL children should be in car seats. And I do NOT hesitate to voice my opinion when I see someone driving with a child not in a car seat. I've pissed many people off by yelling, "Buy a friggen car seat!" LOL

But with smoking, I DO feel that no one should smoke around children. But making it a law? I don't agree with.

Like Ami said, what's to stop mom and dad from lighting up at home. The children are still exposed to the second hand smoke.