Sunday, October 08, 2006

October and awareness

Yes I know October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. But what about other awarenesses? No one remembers that October 15th is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. Yes I know breast cancer is wide known. But people lose infants and miscarry just as much as women die from breast cancer. This is something I wish was more known by others. I can't do it alone. I need help.

Last month, not even a month ago, House Resolution #222 was passed in the House of Representatives supporting the goals and ideals of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. Check it out here.

I've suffered both a miscarriage and loss of infants. It's something that a lot of people don't want to talk about. I am very open with my experiences. I don't mind sharing about my miscarriage or losing my twins. It helps me heal. I apologize to anyone that feels uncomfortable when I bring them up. But they're who I am as well as my living children.

Yes it hurts. Yes, I still grieve. But I feel a warmth talking about them.

So help me spread the news about Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness. I will be sporting ribbons on Lucy Blue soon that reflect Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness. Here is where you can find other ribbons representing Pregnancy and Infant Loss.

Thank you to all who check out these websites.

2 comments:

Ami said...

I am glad you're not afraid to talk about the children you lost. I think it's important for people like me to know what it's like and to know that people who have gone through it NEED to talk about it. Sometimes I am afraid of saying the wrong thing, and in the past have said NOTHING as a result. You've taught me that the loss of a child is not something that should be ignored or tiptoed around like a shameful secret and that I *should* say something.I *should* reach out and say that I'm so sorry. Because I always am.

My mom lost a baby boy at 5 months gestation. This was in 1962. They whisked him away from her after a 12 hour labor. She never saw him or touched him. It's been more than 40 years and it still makes her weep sometimes. She was not allowed to grieve, and no one mentioned him to her. No one acknowledged her loss, except to say stupid things like, "Well, there was probably something wrong with him anyway."

I read a blog this week from a mom who just lost a full-term baby girl in June. It broke my heart.

Thank you for having the courage to share your feelings.

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

I'm so sorry for your mom. And for you. You lost a brother. I insisted on holding Phoebe and Audrey. From watching ER I knew it was important to hold them and talk to them. (The episode I learned that from, I was pregnant with them and Carter and his girl lost their baby because the cord wrapped around baby's neck.) I only wish I could have held them longer. They were so beautiful, and I do have pictures of them. None of me holding them, but I still have pictures.
Ok I'll be honest, my biggest regret was not fighting harder to keep them. But all I could think of was my three older, LIVING, children who needed me also. That's selfish, I'm sure. But we all have to make difficult decisions in our lives that change who we are.
To be honest, I wouldn't really change anything. Because had I not lost my girls, I wouldn't have Jackson. I was totally going to have my tubes tied after them. But when I lost them, I refused. And now I have this precious, beautiful baby boy who makes me melt everytime he smiles at me. That's my silver lining. :)